It is 2 weeks left to our due date and the biggest change in our lives, we try to stay calm. I have been at home resting for couple of weeks now and cooking quite a bit. Oh how much I enjoy it! Today I need to share this super recipe with you that is not originally mine but from another food blog that I follow called portion under tian.
I made small alterations to the recipe to make it even more delicious!
This recipe is not only delicious but also cheap to cook. I like to have a lot of garlic and herbs in the tomato sauce and the “meatballs” salty. These “meatballs” are made out of black beans, sunflower seeds, oats, onion and soy sauce that you just mix into a batter and roll balls out of. This recipe will serve 4 persons easily.
Vegan meatballs with tomato sauce & spaghetti
6dl black beans or kidney beans
1dl sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
oil for frying
Spaghetti and the tomato sauce
1 can of crushed tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
1 dice of veggie stock/broth
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp of herbs like thyme, rosemary, oregano etc
1 tsp chili flakes
oil for frying
- Start with mixing the ingredients for the meatballs in a blender or with a hand mixer into a smooth batter. Check the taste and add more soy sauce or pepper if needed. Tip! Use dried beans that you soak 12hrs and cook 1hr before cooking. It is also cheaper but more tasty.
- Start boiling water for spaghetti in water with bit of salt and olive oil in it and start chopping the onion and garlic for the sauce.
- Start frying the onion and garlic on a frying pan with oil. When the onions turn yellow add the herbs and chili flakes and mix well.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and add the tomato purée, veggie stock and stir. Let the sauce boil for 5 minutes on a low temperature.
- Check if your spaghetti is ready cook, preferably al dente and pour out the water. Set aside.
- Roll out meatballs of the batter and start frying on a medium warm frying pan with oil. The meatballs can easily stick to the pan but have a thin spatula to turn them around and avoid sticking. These meatballs are supposed be a bit mushy inside after frying the outside of them.
- When your tomato sauce is ready cooked mix the sauce with a hand mixer for finer consistency. Add salt if needed.
- Serve the ready fried meatballs with the tomato sauce and spaghetti. Pour on some fresh herbs and you are good to go!
Have a great weekend folks!