My favorite month of the year because it’s not only my birth month but also our future daughters birth month and my mom is also born in June. In June we celebrate midsummer which is probably my favorite tradition to celebrate in the nordic calendar year. This cake will be perfect for midsummer party, the bottom is made of almonds so it’s naturally gluten free and on top we have whipped cream with strawberries and rhubarb that are cooked in lemon syrup. Fresh and easy!
Almondy rhubarb & strawberry cake
200g almond paste (mandelmassa)
4 egg whites
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
250g fresh strawberries
1 stalk rhubarb
3dl whipped cream
- Heat up the oven to 175° celsius. Grate the almond paste with a grater and whip it up with the egg yolks in a bowl with an electronic whisk.
- Chop the almonds into fine crush on a cutting board or with a blender and toss them in to the almond – egg yolk mix and blend together. Add also vanilla sugar.
- Start whisking the egg whites in a separate bowl until they get foamy consistence. Add the sugar and continue whisking until it starts to look like shiny merengue. Now mix the merengue slowly together with the almond – egg yolk mix.
- Use a round cake mold 23cm in diameter. Smear the mold with butter or oil (or use baking sheet) to avoid the cake sticking. Pour the cake batter in to the mold and bake in the lower part of your oven for approx. an hour (time can vary depending on your oven). After the bottom is baked let it cool down before decorating.
- Meanwhile the cake is baking you can start to cook water and when it gets to boil add sugar and juice of one lemon and chopped bites of rhubarb. Cook as long the rhubarbs get softer and set aside to cool down.
- Whip the cream and chop the strawberries. Put the sliced strawberries into the rhubarb mix and gently combine.
- When the cake bottom has cooled down pour on top of it the whipped cream. After a layer of whipped cream pour over the rhubarb and strawberry mix and decorate with thin slices of peeled lemon skin or fresh herbs like mint. Serve with glass of bubbles!
Have a lovely day!