Ho ho ho!
Many of you might have heard of Finnish christmas casseroles. Maybe you know them too well or have never heard of. Any how you should try these totally vegan recipes for this Christmas. They are so tasty and should deserve to be eaten all year around.
The difference between carrot and turnip casseroles is that in carrot casserole you also have rice pudding in it. Both of the casseroles are seasoned with lovely and christmassy nutmeg. Either you want totally vegan christmas or not these will be a great value at your christmas table!
For these casseroles you need to reserve some time but active cooking takes about 30 minutes. They are baked in the oven for 1hr30min.
1 kg organic carrots
5 dl water
1 dl rice pudding rice
5 dl Plant-based milk (I used Sproud peamilk)
50g vegan margarine
1/2 dl bread crumbs
1/2 dl light syrup
- Turn the oven on 180°
- Start with cooking the rice porridge/pudding by combining the plant-based milk, the rice and 1/2 tsp salt. Heat up and stir well. Lower the temperature and let it cook slowly under a lid for around half and hour. Stir occasionally and add a bit of water if needed. The porridge shouldn’t be too sticky when ready.
- Peel the carrots and chop them into smaller pieces. Cook them in 5 dl water and add a bit of salt. Cook as long as they soften
- Puree the cooked carrots with an emergent blender
- Butter an oven dish (20 x 25) with margarine
- Mix together in a bowl the porridge, blended carrots, margarine, bread crumbs, the nutmeg & the plant-based milk. Add salt if needed
- Pour the mixture in the oven dish and sprinkle on top some bread crumbs and couple spoonfuls of margarine
- Bake in the oven for about 1hr 30 minutes
1 kg fresh turnip
1 1/2 dl bread crumbs
6 dl plant-based milk (I used Sproud pea milk)
1 dl plant-based cream (I used Planti soy cream)
75g vegan margarine
1/2 dl dark syrup
- Peel and chop the turnip into cubes. Cook the turnip cubes in 6dl of plant-based milk and 1 tsp of salt on a medium low heat for 20-30 minutes or as long as the turnip has softened
- Puree the cooked turnip with an emergent blender. Leave no clumps
- Blend in 50g of margarine, bread crumbs, syrup, the plant-based cream and nutmeg after your own liking
- Butter an oven dish (20 x 25) with margarine and pour in the pureed turnip
- Add chunks of margarine on top of the casserole of the remaining margarine
- Bake in the oven in 180° also for 1hr 30 minutes
Hope you have a merry christmas!